THE SECRET TO CHOOSING GREAT REPLACEMENT WINDOWS
(Hint: It’s not just about the window)
By Lou Manfredini, contributor to NBC's Today Show
Americans may be pulling their money out of stocks or bonds, and they’ve been spending plenty on something else: new windows. Last year homeowners paid a record 8.5 Billion for them. Deciding on which ones to have installed can be overwhelming.
A replacement window is only as good as its installation – have it done wrong, and your old, leaky, drafty windows will be transformed into new, leaky, drafty windows. Where’s the savings in that? The replacement window industry is a huge, and it’s filled with a lot of fly-by-night dealers—you’ll see on late night TV. With all kinds of bells and whistles that may or may not be that important. It can be difficult to figure out a good window just by looking at it in a showroom. You can avoid buying cheap windows and shoddy installation by buying from major national brands, like Marvin or good regional brands, like Schuco or Renewal by Andersen.
All of these companies as well as select others make a great product. The differences in how their made and the features that they offer depends on what you want in a window. High performance glass, or the way the window tilts in for cleaning, or the material they are made of may make a difference in which you choose to install. Price is also a factor. The good windows can range in price from $500.00 per opening to over $1,000.00 per opening. But remember that this investment will pay you back not only when you go to sell your home, but in lower energy bills and ease of use. (No more wooden spoons holding open your windows).
The following is a checklist of considerations when choosing a replacement window and company to work on your home.
· Does the National Fenestration Research Council or Energy Star rate the windows? What is the rating? (R-values of 6-9 are very good).
· Is the manufacture a member of a professional organization, such as the National association of the Remodeling industry?
· Can the window manufacturer provide any third party endorsements—especially from past and current customers whom you can contact yourself?
· Will they give you a solid completion date—with a guarantee such as 5 years on workmanship and 10 years on product performance?
· Can they provide step-by-step installation processes so you understand the process and how it will effect you while the work is being done?
I hope these insights help you in your search for those new windows for your home. Now all you need to decide is what color to paint the walls,louis vuitton replica handbags the trim, and what kind of window treatments to hang.
For more information on replica breitling the windows we showed in the segment please visit the following websites. www.marvin.com, www.schuco-usa.com, www.renewalbyandersen.com
If you have other questions please e-mail me at lou @homeimprovementminutes.com
The above material is provided as an information service. Lou urges you to
consider all prudent options prior to beginning a home improvement project
or repairs, including checking with home improvement professionals in your
area, and local building codes.